Monday, July 13, 2015

Radio Show Appearance and Reminder About Upcoming Owl Talks (Plus Bonus Pellet Videos)

Monday, July 13, 2015


My appearance on Growing Green St. Louis on KTRS The Big 550AM  aired on Saturday, July 11, and it is now online here:
http://www.ktrs.com/growing-green-st-louis/      Thank you for listening!   My thanks to Jean Ponzi for inviting me on her show and for her great questions and enthusiasm. 

As a reminder I have two owl talks this week. I hope you can make one or both of these talks!

The first talk is on Wednesday, July 15 for Gateway Greening as part of their Pints 'n Plants lecture series. This will be my second talk for this lecture series and I am grateful to Gateway Greening for having me back. This general talk on the owls is from 6:30-7:30pm at  Urban Chestnut Brewing Company ,4465 Manchester Ave. St. Louis, MO, 63110 in the Grove neighborhood. Urban Chestnut makes great beer and their Bier Hall's food has had some amazing reviews like this one. Owls, beer and food-what a great combination! 

My second talk this week is a more specific one on a rather meaty subject.  It is "Forest Park Owls: Hunting and Feeding", 11:00am, Saturday, July 18, 2015, St. Louis Country Library-Cliff Cave Branch, 5430 Telegraph Rd., Oakville, MO 63129.  This is my third talk at this branch in south St. Louis County.  I have been lucky to present at several SLCL locations but this will be the first time I have given three talks at the same branch. Not the last though:)

We are in the midst of a heatwave in St. Louis so I think some cool footage of the owls shot during cooler weather may bring some relief.  In late November-early December I was able to film, on several nights, Charles and Sarah ejecting pellets.  What was especially note-worthy was the size of the pellets they ejected.  Here's Charles on December 1 ejecting the largest pellet I have ever seen an owl expel.  


While a slightly smaller pellet, Sarah's efforts here on December 4 are intense so as to removed this veritable torpedo of fur, bones and other indigestible bits. 


Thank you for reading, listening and watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment