Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Owls On The Radio and Owlet Update

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The first piece on the owls and my work with them on the radio program, Missouri Environment, on KBIA 91.3 Mid-Missouri Public in Columbia, Missouri aired this morning.  The show's host and producer, Gary Grigsby, and KBIA did a great job and you can hear it here:

http://kbia.org/post/owl-man-knows-all-about-charles-and-sarah

It is a thrill and honor to have the owls and my work featured and shared in this way.  The second piece will air in two weeks on Tuesday, January 20.  I cannot wait!

Some readers have asked about the youngest owlet and I realized I forgot to include the latest about the youngest owlet in my last post.  The most recent night I saw the owlet was on Friday, December 26. No one has reported to me that they have seen or heard it since then either.  I hope the owl has dispersed safely and successfully.  Should it return I will be sure to let you all know.

In the meantime, Sarah continues to nest.  It has been a week since she started to nest. Here are two highlights with Charles from last night.  He perched in Charles' Xmas Tree and began his wake up process by ejecting a pellet and doing an Escalator Stretch:



Later on while he was in The First of Three Trees, a Great Blue Heron flew passed. It circled back towards The 06/09/11/13/14/15 Nest Tree and Charles went for it. Listen at the 24 second mark for the croaking distress calls of this massive bird as it evades Charles.



This was possibly the second attack made by Charles last night on a bird of this species. Earlier I heard similar distress calls by a Great Blue Heron and turned to see Charles pulling up to land in a tree near the heron. Amazing to see the owls go after a bird twice its size!

Thank you for reading and listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment